Sunday, February 7, 2010

Happy Birthday

It was at our thursday night dinner last week that we ate ice cream cake and sang happy birthday to one of our core kids. I got all choked up looking around the room at all the faces singing away. This has become a family. We have hurt together, and laughed together, and now we were celebrating together. It was touching. The sister of the birthday girl made up a video tribute to her older sister. Pictures, music, and touching words all together made us laugh and cry. At the end of the video the words flashed onto the screen "and thank you to those of you who have helped us become this way... you know who you are." Then a picture of me and this girl flashed onto the screen. Then her with my two coworkers. I stopped trying to hide my tears.
This is mostly a thankless job, but when thanks does come, it is so sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Carmen,

    You have a lovely blog. I was just googling my name "Carmen Rempel" to see what would come up and found your blog. You seem like a sweet, decent person ...I am honored to share my name with you.
    A youth worker, such a tough, but such an important job!

    We may not know each other but it's nice to have come across you. Keep up the good work.

    Take Care, Carmen Rempel

    ReplyDelete