Thursday, February 18, 2010

Gold


Two youth leaders rose to gold standards tonight. They took on and lead our thursday dessert night. We made it an olympic themed night in honour of the chaos that is happening around us here in the lower mainland. I helped and guided them providing ideas and resources and thats about it. They took it and ran with it. I am so proud of them.
It was a night of games and fun, starting with running in with our Olympic torch (a butane lighter) and ending with an awards ceremony (yogurt lids glued to cardboard on a ribbon). Us leaders then took the opportunity to give out individual awards to all the teens in attendance (the bottom of a styrofoam cup with a sharpie written word on it a hole and a piece of string). It was a touching ceremony. One teen got a medal for endurance in his life, one for commitment, another teen was awarded a medal for her Spirit.
That "spirit" girl helped me carry some supplies out at the end of the night, I told her that I meant everything I said earlier about how I love her spirit and am so happy she has come and joined our little group as of late. She told me that it was a better influence on her and it was better then going out and getting drunk. She told me just a few facts about her life before she moved to Langley and I was surprised by how much she had endured already. I am excited to get to know her better and glad that our thursday night dinners are serving the purpose we intend for them.
Go Canada Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment